Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Carl Bloch: The Master's Hand




I was in Utah for a wedding in November. I visited BYU, my alma mater, for the first time since graduation. The very day we were there, this magnificent exhibit opened. It is on the sublime works of Carl Bloch, a Danish painter who painted depictions of Christ's life and other religiously themed altarpieces.
Walking into the exhibit was as if we had stepped out of the Wasatch Mountains and into a Danish museum of art. My eyes feasted on the fineness of the paintings, but my heart was brimming with love for the Savior. Seeing art in person touches you in way no reproduction or print can. It penetrates and humbles you. So when I sat and stared at these pictures of the Savior, I could barely move or look away. I wanted to sit and stare for hours and not leave the warmth I felt in the presence created by Carl Bloch.
The two images above are my favorite prints. If you are in Utah, please go to this exhibit. For yourself. It runs until May 7 at the BYU Museum of Art.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

I'm so glad you recommended this to us. We went over Christmas and you described it perfectly. It was incredible.

Tarnation said...

Inspiring.