Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Battle of Britain and Dover's cliffs












The white cliffs of Dover where hiding almost the entire time we were there. We had to go on a treasure hunt to see them. The clouds were looming in such a way that one could not tell the sea from the sky or the cliffs. But you knew those famous cliffs were majestically standing above you all the same. With the sea air blowing as if it wanted to push us over, we went on a limb and found the Battle of Britain memorial by accident. We were the only ones braving the site with the British rain gently numbing our faces and our pants covered in mud.
I sat there and thought what it would have been like to be a coastal resident in 1940 England. Doing hard work at the docks or at a small house no doubt, when loud, low flying German planes come out of nowhere. It must not have been a pleasant feeling to see them suddenly above English soil.
After my daydreaming, I ran on the soft ground to see what was beyond the small memorials. I had found the treasure: a view of the cliffs. We explored a little more and found a great view right on the edge of one of the cliffs. You know when you see people overlooking cliffs towards the sea in movies? That's what it felt like. Rain wetting my face, the wind controlling my hair, and the clouds slightly breaking to uncover the grand white cliffs of Dover. Pictures do not do it justice. I wanted to stand there all day.

1 comment:

Taryn said...

that's exactly what i was going to say Lindsay. Wow! These pics and your description make me really want to stand there all day too.