Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day - let's remember







It was a sweaty, hot August DC morning before work. I hustled over to Arlington National Cemetery to partake of its reverence. I'm walking along when I see a car parked along one of the paths (rare - cars not allowed much). A very old man used his cane to get out of the car. I started to walk slower, hoping to be a part of whatever was next. He shuffled over to one of the hundreds of thousands of tombstones and planted some flowers, followed by some water. I didn't want to seem like a gawker or stalker, so I took photos at a distance. It was such a tender, sweet memorial. Seeing him stand all alone among the white markers of those who've past, honoring someone special to him made all my superficial concerns of my sweatiness subside. He was just standing there, leaning against his cane, remembering those who had served for our country, all alone. See him hidden among all those tombstones? It was a reverential moment that I didn't want to forget.







3 comments:

Gideon Burton said...

I like the way you created (or recreated) a sense of reverence that you felt in this place through the coherence of your images and the stylish placement of your reflection within the midst of the photos (not unlike the placement of the man among the gravestones). Some nice photo composition, and some nice blog composition, too. I appreciate your perspective and talent.

Tarnation said...

Touching story.

Taryn said...

very moving.