Saturday, October 4, 2008

Car accident #2 in my life

The first one was ten years ago and I was hurt hardcore in the teeth department.  This one, I'm ok, just a little stiff neck.  However, my car is totally beat up.

Here's what happened.  I was about 2 miles from home, driving on the road that gets me from the freeway to home.  It was late at night, and I was picking up speed to get up to the speed limit.  All of a sudden a deer was in my lane right in front of my car.  My gut reaction was to hit the brakes and swerve out of the way, which I did.  I swerved too much, caught the gravel on the shoulder, got spun around into the other lane, rolled over into the ditch.  Thought going through my head:  "oh no.  not happening.  there is nothing i can do.  oh, i'm upside down.  i'm am actually rolling." 

I was able to get the car started and drove it out of the ditch.  Reason for this:  I couldn't find my dead cell phone, and no one was pulling over to help me.  I figured if I was more on the road, maybe someone would be more compassionate.  As I got the car turned around and headed to see if I could make it home (ha!), the car died and would not start up again.  

Finally, a nice kid pulled over and let me use his cell phone to call my parents.  Then like six police cars arrived.  I asked how they knew I was there.  They said a neighbor heard the accident and called them.  

The car got towed away and I made it home in one piece.

Here are all the things that could have gone wrong that didn't:

- I wasn't going fast enough to roll over multiple times since I was at the beginning of the highway.
- I ended right side up.
- The car rolled on the opposite side of where I was, damaging that side more.
- My windows were bent and cracked, but didn't shatter and hit me.
- There were no cars in the other lane to hit.
- If I had rolled more I would have ended in the pond.
- I was really close to smacking into/rolling on a fire hydrant.
- I was not hurt at all!  I don't know how that was possible.  

I've been watched over and blessed.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're okay!

Anonymous said...

I have more bruises from falling off the ladder one step. You are blessed!

Anonymous said...

I am so thankful you weren't hurt.

Jared said...

I'm glad you're OK, and I'm glad I heard it straight from you instead of filtered through second-hand rumors.

Now with that said, how were you able to post about the Chicago trip before posting this news. Where are your priorities? ;)

Lindsay said...

Words cannot express how relieved I am that you are ok!

jefe said...

What a scary experience. I am sooooo glad you are fine.

Anonymous said...

You are sleeping just a little too much. Mild concussion maybe?

Rebecca said...

Whitney! I can't believe that happened and that you are alright! You truly were watched over, and I'm glad you recognize that. Once, when I had a car mishap it taught me some valuable lessons from Heavenly Father. Love you, girl! And glad you are OK!