Monday, February 8, 2010

iPhone travel apps

I used my phone everyday while traveling abroad. It was the perfect tool to have. If you are looking to travel, there are a lot of apps out there, so it is hard to find the good ones. I don't have all the answers, but here are the ones I loved the most (almost all of them free):
To check the price of things in the States and see if something is a commodity or not.
To spend 20 minutes on a train playing with a companion.
Perhaps a favorite, it converts everything to whatever outcome you need.
Great to check the current exchange rate.
Saving grace when you cannot think of the right word, or have no idea why they gave you a discount (did I look too young to pay full price in Italy?).
Most used app. A great way to take quick photos that look like toy plastic camera prints.
For those times you have to prove yourself right about who is in a movie.
I checked this multiple times a day before booking my flight to get the cheapest flight. Then used it to book hotels.
Didn't make it to the National Gallery this time, but there are a lot of great art apps that explain what's important to look for.
A mindlessly fun game to play with a companion while listening to music together.
So you don't have to carry around heavy scriptures, and not eat up precious data time while studying.
I used this to check the ski report in Chamonix. It has reports from all over the world.
A mini-journal tool and a great way to keep family and friends up-to-date on what you are doing on the other side of the Atlantic.
This is a magazine that I lived off of last time, but this time - I got it all for free! It lets you know what the best things to do around town are and when they end and how much they cost, etc. This is how I found out about ice skating.

Oh, how blessed an app to help you remember what stops and lines to take.
Helped me not be as bored on the plane.
Helped me check to see if there was any money left.
Tells you what is good around town.
Main source of anti-boredom. This and of course music.

Then the app we relied on the most was Maps. For obvious reasons. Yay GPS.

3 comments:

Tarnation said...

Cool beans.

Lindsay said...

Thanks for the tips! Looks like some great stuff!

Mom said...

Of course while on the train you might try reading and expanding your mind.

Signed,
Your Mother